Tuks Senior Women Still Unbeaten

The University of Pretoria Football Club's senior women's team earned what was only their third point against Palace Super Falcons since their participation in this league after they held the current national Sasol League champions to a goalless draw at the University of Pretoria Sports Campus. 

This is also the first time that the team finishes the first round without a loss.

The first opportunity of the game came in the 13th minute after Majadibe pounced on a loose ball from a defensive error but the falcons defence scrambled back in time to clear the danger and concede the corner.

In the 35th minute Tuks switched to a short passing game and managed to penetrate the falcons defence. Marumo delivered a cross from the right which found mazibuko at the penalty spot but her header sailed just over the crossbar.

In the 41st minute Qwabe skilfully tapped the ball past the defender that was marking her close and layed the ball on Magaia's way; she outpaced the falcons central defender but her final shot was straight at the keeper.  Less than a minute later magaia received the ball again but was stopped In her tracks by a fist in the gut. After spending a few minutes off the field receiving treatment she got back up and joind the fight. Marumo took the resulting free kick which had the Falcons keeper scrambling to her top left corner but the ball just dipped over the cross bar.

The teams went into the half time break goalless but the Tuks coach would have been the happier of the two having created the best chances in the first half. 

In the 47th minutes hilda received the ball on the right and dribbled past her marker but was hacked down on the edge of the penalty next to the goalline. Tuks could not take advantage of the dead ball

In the 53rd minute Qwabe hussled the ball from the central defender and sent Mazibuko down the middle but she could not outpace the central defender who cleared the ball for a corner. Two minutes later Falcons went on a counter attack and a cross came from the right which caught Matshaba off her line but Tuks breathed a huge sigh of relief as they watched the ball trickle past the upright.

In the 57th minute Tuks struggled to clear their lines from a long throw and the ball bounced on a few heads before landing on the falcons striker who attempted a volley but did not connect properly and the ball went harmlessly wide for a goal kick. Minutes later the Tuks defence again failed to deal with a high ball which landed on the feet of the second half substitute striker Kgadi, who attempted to chip Matshaba but the ball went too high.

Falcons continued piling on the pressure and had Tuks on the defensive. The pressure almost paid off when Mogolola and Zondo collided dues to a lack of communication and the ball fell to a Falcons player whose final shot beat Matshaba but Mabatle was on hand to clear the ball off the goalline, the follow up shot from point blank range went over the crossbar.

In the 72nd minute Thato played a through ball to Magaia whose hard and low cross found a lunging Qwabe but she could not connect with the ball.

Falcons broke on the counter again and had the Tuks defence in sixes and sevens but Matshaba rushed to the Falcons attacker and made herself big and managed to hold off the striker long enough for her defence to scramble back in time to defend the goalline. There were a few deflected shots in front of goal but the final shot from falcons again went high over the crossbar.

With only 2 minutes left on the clock Thato latched on to a loose ball down the middle and chipped the onrushing keeper but her ball went narrowly wide of goal. The stress levels shot out the roof as Falcons created more chances towards the death but the referee came to Tuks' rescue and ended the game. Falcons striker Kgadi who was a second half substitute received a yellow card for decent during the game and was show red after the game as she cotinued to hackle the referee. 

"They came at us hard but we responded harder" was the general consensus as the players gathered in the center of the field to stretch. The result concludes the first round of the league and sees Tuks move to 20 points and continue to lead stream A in Gauteng. The second round starts on Saturday 13 June 2015 with a trip to Alexandra to take on Blue Birds.