Match Report: AmaTuks vs Mbombela Utd

AmaTuks went down 1-0 to Mbombela United in their first match of the promotional playoffs at the Tuks Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

AmaTuks had a solid start to the match and threatened as early as the 6th minute when Mnyamane's corner found Bacela at the far post but the defender blocked his shot. The resulting corner found Bacela again at the far post but his header ricochet off the foot of the upright and bounced out for a goal kick.

In the 9th minted Maboe beat the offside trap when the ball was played over the Tuks defence and only had the keeper to beat but Coetsee was quick off his line and punched the ball away from Maboe feet. Minutes later AmaTuks were caught ball watching and it was again Maboe who found himself at the end of the attacking move inside the penalty box but his shot was wayward.

In the 41st minute the visitors had AmaTuks on the back foot and found the opener from Gumede's shot from the edge of the penalty box that beat Coetsee on his right and the visitors took the lead into the half time break.

United got the second half underway but it was Tuks who had the first attacking move of the half when Kebede dribbled past his man and cut the ball back but Bacela could not get to the ball.

In the 49th minute Mbombela threaded the ball past the Tuks defence but all the white shirts in the box left it for the next man and allowed the Tuks defenders cleared the danger.

On the hour mark Kebede took a shot from the edge of the penalty box which hit the crossbar, minutes later Ntombayithethi's cross found Maruping in the penalty box but his header went narrowly wide of goal.

In the 66th minute Kebede took a shot on the turn inside the penalty box which beat the keeper on his right but hit the upright and back into play and the followup shot was wayward.

I'm the 74th minute Maruping connected with Kebede's corner but Xaba was able to palm it away from the top left corner of his poles to concede a corner kick. Tuks then lost the ball in the opposition's final third and United went on the counter and had a 4 on 2 situation but no-one was willing to take responsibility and the played the ball aimlessly into the box which Mwedihanga shielded to allow Coetsee to collect.

In the 80th minute Mxolisi Mayongo committed his second bookable offense and was given his marching orders; giving AmaTuks a one-man advantage for the final ten minutes of the match. AmaTuks committed men forward in search of the equaliser and on the stroke of full time the visitors put pressure on the Tuks defence and were awarded a penalty. Victor Shongwe stepped up but Coetsee was equal to the challenge and he palmed the ball away. 

AmaTuks: Coetsee, Mwedihanga, Mthethwa, Zwane, Ntombayithethi, Ketjijere, Maruping, Nkoana (Mosadi 53'), Mnyamane (Chikohwa 81'), Kebede, Bacela (Nyondo 60')

Mbombela United: Xaba, Shongwe, Dhladhla, Mayango, Maphosa, Gumede (Nkosi 71' [Mabuza 85']), Mphahleni, Maila, Maboe, Jantjie (Sekome 65'), Ndlovu